Spacelink invites schools to register their interest as we seek to bring Space Experts into UK classrooms via Google Hangouts.
We aim to enthuse and educate young people about space and science by enabling them to talk directly to scientists in a wide range of space-related activities and question them about the mysteries they are exploring and their emerging discoveries. We hope to inspire them to take STEM subjects throughout school and beyond, and to aspire to STEM-related careers.
In this pilot and initial rollout year, we are inviting schools to help us as we gather experience and knowledge as we plan to use Google Hangouts as a digital vehicle to facilitate communication and contact between schools and scientists from these different areas.
|Month||W/C||Date of Event||Speaker||Topic|
|May||1st||4th||Dr||Jack Carlyle||Space Weather|
|May||8th||11th||Roger Stabbins||Robotic Exploration of Mars|
|May||15th||16th||Ravi Desai||Rocket Science/Life and Atmospheres of Moons|
|May||22nd||23rd||Georgina Graham||Our Sun (Live NASA Workshop)|
|May||22nd||25th|| Dr||George Seabroke||Galactic Speed Camera – Gaia Satellite – Doppler effect catching speeding Stars|
|June||5th||6th||Oliver Price||Tales from Cometary tails|
|June||19th||22nd||Prof||Lucie Green||Getting to Know Our Explosive Sun|
|June||26th||29th||Dr||Martin Archer||How to build your own Lightsaber|
|July||10th||Daily for Week||MSSL Space Week Daily sessions||MSSL Space Week|
Exciting News !Please register your interest using the form at the bottom of this page:
Below are the links to our recorded Hangouts:
How to Get Started
- Do you have a google account? If the answer is NO you will need to create one. Schools do have enhanced privileges and you can use a school’s google account. However, this is more complex to set up and it is quicker to create a personal account for this purpose.
- Once you have an account you can login. If you are using google chrome as a browser, select “Hangouts” from the programs matrix on the top right-hand corner of the screen. If you using a different browser then enter https://www.google.co.uk/ in the address bar. Login to your google account. Select the “Hangout” icon from the program matrix, 3rd from the right on the top right-hand corner of the screen.
- Now it is time to try a video call. If you are using a laptop then you can use the built-in camera and microphone. If you are using a standalone PC then you will need to connect a webcam and a microphone (a headset is the easiest for a test). Click the video call button in the centre of the screen of the hangout page. Search for “Robert Coombes” (the one with the jacket and tie icon) or search “Spacelink l” and select “Robert Coombes” and call. If I am on-line I will answer. The call does not need to be completed but you should see video from your webcam or see an invite people box. If you do not see either of these, you may have “firewall” or security problems. Check this out with your IT technicians or IT department. You may need to ask them to enable the use of “hangouts” or make firewall port changes. Technical information on this can be found on http://support.google.com/a/answer/1279090?hl=en.
- If you need any support at this stage please do not hesitate to email mail us at: email@example.com.
- You will see an application form at the bottom of this page. Please fill this in and we will make contact with you either by email or phone.
“We look forward to hearing from you!”
Please note: Spacelink Learning Foundation Video and Photography policy
Schools who taking part interactively in a “Hangout” or “Skype” event run by Spacelink, must be aware that the content may be streamed and/or recorded and then made available for viewing via YouTube or similar video sharing sites. All schools who wish to use a webcam or other video capturing device as part of the event is responsible for the content provided by them. Please ensure that all necessary permissions have been granted before taking part. Spacelink will follow NSPCC guidelines in the use of any video content but will assume that all required permissions have been granted for all the content provided by or recorded in schools taking part in any activity organised by them. Spacelink will not be held responsible for any action taken regarding the video or photographic content taken in or provided by schools.
Spacelink refers to Spacelink Learning Foundation